KINSMAN VOLUNTEER

Fire Department

Our Mission

Provide optimum protection and prevention for our residents and visitors, with the highest level of valor, integrity, commitment, teamwork and community involvement.​

Kinsman Fire Department
Station 33

8450 Center Street

Kinsman, Ohio 44428-9503

330.876.3375 (Business only)
fire@kinsmanstownship.org

Emergencies: DIAL 911

Hall Rental

Jim Geyer  |  330.876.0809

13925749_1100873813299976_1663666350606011722_o.jpg

FIRE TRAINING

1st and 3rd Monday of every month at 6:30 PM at Kinsman Fire Dept.

EMS TRAINING

2nd Monday of every month at 7:00 PM at Johnston Fire Dept.

POISON CONTROL

Need help now? Call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 or visit PoisonHelp.org

Text POISON to 797979 to save the contact for poison control in your phone.

Poison control centers offer free, confidential, expert medical advice 24/7 through the Poison Help Line, 1-800-222-1222, and their new online, interactive tool, PoisonHelp.org.

 

DEPARTMENT MEMBERS

 
Fire_Chief_Cory_VanKanegan.jpg

Cory VanKanegan

Chief  |  Firefighter II  |  EMT-Paramedic

Associates in Fire Science  |  Fire Inspector  |  Fire Instructor  |  Paramedic/Firefighter  |  Hazmat Operations  |  Grain Bin Rescue Certified

FIRE OFFICERS

Chad Thompson

Larry Pleva

Assistant Chief  |  Firefighter

Captain  |  Firefighter

Travis Sapp

Tyler Elser

Assistant Chief  |  Firefighter l

Lieutenant  |  Firefighter

MEMBERS

Doug Elser

Firefighter  |  Engineer

Michelle Van Kanegan

Firefighter  |  EMT-Basic

Bob Van Kanegan

Firefighter l  |  Engineer

Dominic Minor

Firefighter

Roxanne Minor

EMT-Basic

Sophia Minor

Firefighter  |  EMT-Basic

Mark Houser

Firefighter

Don Stevens

Firefighter  |  EMT-Basic

Logan Pearce

Firefighter l

Chris Minor

EMT-Basic

Amerissa Minor

Firefighter  |  EMT-Basic

Camera Pavlic

Cadet

Dale Goist

Firefighter  |  Chaplin

KINSMAN VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT, INC

2021 Association Officers

Doug Elser

President

Tanya Tricker

Treasurer

Bob Van Kanegan

Vice President

Don Stevens

Secretary

TRUSTEES

Cory VanKanegan

Dale Goist

Logan Pearce

FIRE DEPARTMENT EQUIPMENT
engine-33.jpg

Engine 33

  • 1998 Spartan-New Lexington

  • 1,250 gallons per minute (1,000 gallon tank)

  • Carries thermal imaging equipment

  • Full complement of structural firefighting tools

 

Department History

The Kinsman Fire Truck Company, as it was originally named, came into being around 1926 with Lloyd jones becoming its first chief. In 1929 John “Jack” Carkhuff became its second Chief.

With a Model T Ford truck and a few chemical tanks housed in the A.G. Birrell Garage, they were ready to serve the public. Telephone calls were relayed there by an obliging operator.

Early_Firemen.jpg
 

In 1937 the township trustees bought a new truck and funds were solicited to finance the new organization. The first Fire Station, located on the NE side of the Route 7 bridge below the Town Square, was acquired and improvements made by the men in their leisure time. This was the home of the Fire Department until the late 1960’s when the current building was constructed on Ridge Road. The front of the building was added to in 1971 providing a meeting room, office, and additional truck bays to meet the needs of a growing community.

Much credit of the early Fire department is given to John Carkhuff who ran it from 1929 until his retirement in 1968. Credit also needs to be given to those who followed and gave equally in effort to the township and its residents. Their time may not have been as long but their service is equally appreciated. Those who gave selflessly to the community before retiring include Richard “Dick” Bloss, Donald “Don” Clute, Frank Carmichael, and Glen Marvin.

During the 1940’s the Women’s Auxiliary came to fruition with Ruth Menock as its first President. Organized between 1947 and 1949 they labor to diligently assist the Firefighters when necessary. They continue to meet regularly at the Fire Hall.

Today, the Fire Department Building continues to be owned and operated by the Fire Association. The Township Trustees contract to house the taxpayer emergency vehicles there.